Monday, October 12, 2009

ah, sweet studio

Who Knows What Creativity
Lurks in the Hearts of Men?

THE STUDIO KNOWS!!


Ok, that was lame, but it was better than me claiming to be batman with a lot of dramatic pauses and somehow typing in a gravely voice. I just retrieved my drafting table from my friend Damien who was helping me refinish the surface. I love this thing. Nothing is more satisfying than a brand new piece of equipment that you know will last the rest of your life.




Notice how the artist didn't even bother cleaning the studio before sharing it online? Stuff not pictured, bug collection, Daphne the stuffed armadillo (and studio mascot), Crossbow (for zombie attack), and longsword (in case zombie attack gets too close).

I'm not sure what to do with my old drafting table. I was going to toss it in the dump, but I am rather fond of it. My parents bought it for me when I was in 8th grade, so its fair to say that I learned to be an artist on that table. Drawing, watercolor, woodcut, and comics (junior high, high school, college, and "adulthood") all on one surface. I briefly entertained fantasies of my as yet unborn children all being better artists than me learning to draw on the same table, but its pretty beat up and I don't think it can stand safely for more than another year or so.

And, since mom asked to see a photo of him, here is the other studio mascot. This is my dog Grover, he was once a tiny tiny puppy and is now a pony. For Halloween he is going to be dressed up as Sirius Black (or, should I say, Padfoot), his favorite character from Harry Potter. Notice his steely gaze as he stays on the lookout for dark wizards. Phew, I got a lot of nerdy out on this post.

No comments: