Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Switching to Photoshop

Due to time constraints I've decided to finish this painting in Photoshop (getting a banjo and spending two hours a day learning how to use it may have had something to do with it). Honestly though, with what I learned on this painting, it would have been almost impossible to paint it like I wanted it to look.  When I was working on Caliban and treating it like watercolor it started to "click" for me, but the rest of the painting had too much paint on it to take washes well.  SO, time for the photoshop magic to begin. Here's where I'm at so far:

I should have it done by Thursday, then I think I'll move on to Little Shop of Horrors (and pick some comic book projects back up).

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Making Progress

I have the colors mostly blocked in and am starting to get some details figured out. I still feel like I'm stumbling along with this painting. I have started to "turn the corner" where the painting is shaping up enough for me to be interested and motivated to work on it. I still have a LONG way to go and I have to finish it this weekend.
Mostly I'm happy with how Caliban is shaping up.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010


Finished the underpainting last night, now its time to start laying in some color. I'm going to try using a gamut mask for any color nerds out there. I first learned about them through the blog of illustrator James Gurney of Dinotopia fame. One of his followers made an online gamut mask tool which can be found here if you're interested. It's going to be hard to limit my colors to the mask, but it should make the piece more harmonious.

Oh, and this is acrylic painting #3 for anybody keeping track. I bought some liquid acyrlics the other day so that I can do washes more easily, I am loving it.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Tempest

Here's the drawing I've been slaving away at over the last two days. This piece is big (21" x 28") for me and is going to be a blast/terrifying to paint. I'm really excited about this image. I spent a lot of time on the composition and feel that it was time well spent. This is the first of the play posters I plan on creating,  it is also hopefully going to be for charity if it passes the judges.  The image is a photo, and not a scan, so its a bit gray.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Head Study

Well, I've been sick this week and haven't gotten too much done since Tuesday. I started working on my Tempest theater poster and did this sketch for my Miranda.
I'm killing two birds with one stone on this one. There is an art charity contest that I'm going to try to be part of that I'll be posting more on shortly, so this piece will be for that as well as part of my plea for work with theater companies.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Colored Page

Here is the previous page colored in photoshop. Feel free to point out anything weird or if something doesn't read properly.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Jet Pack Jack

ere's a penciled page for my Zuda web comic submission. It's been difficult doing layouts for a horizontal format after doing so many vertical layouts for print comics. I'm having a blast working on these, its quite a bit different than my work on The Salamander King and serves as a nice break from charcoal. I'll be doing the color for this image tonight and will hopefully be posting that on Wednesday.