Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Portfolio Piece #2


Here is the top half of the sketch for my next portfolio piece that I worked on today while at work. I was rather pleased with how it was coming along, but when I proudly showed my wife she gave it a "huh". With the help of my uber-tuned husband senses I was able to deduce that she was unimpressed. When I pressed her on her opinion she finally admitted, and I quote: "I just don't like monster drawings". This isn't as bad as the time she didn't recognize a certain character from Star Wars (which she let slip in front of my buddy Josh, nerd friend #1), but I was a bit taken aback since I have spent a considerable amount of time in my life drawing monsters. It's one of those skills I have been working on since childhood and which I imagine will only get better until I draw my last monster and drop dead at 98.

I mention all of this because my wife is my best critic, and I can always count on her to give me an honest opinion on my work, and she brings up a valid point: some people don't like monster drawings.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

3 comments:

joshcap said...

But don't stop drawing monsters because your wife doesn't like them. That would be silly.

K L said...

I heard at a recent marriage conference that it is our differences in marriage that strengthen us. Not liking monsters can, however, weaken your marriage because monsters tend to lurk and then eat people who don't like them.

Unknown said...

Ok, lets get one thing straight. I love monsters and monster drawings. I also love robots, most mythical creatures, including dragons, anything half lion or eagle, and especially centaurs that are half baby/half puppy.

I'm not a big fan of ogres or trolls. what.